Written by Laura.
So, we had no idea what to post about today so we thought we'd do something a little different and do a tag. This tag is the Baking Beauties Tag from Water Painted Dreams and it seemed perfect for the amount of baking that goes on in our household.
1. What is the first thing you remember baking?
For me, it was fairy cakes with my Mum, we'd get those cartoon stickers to stick on the top and i loved it! Michael thinks he first baked in a cookery class in school but he has no idea what it was, awful memory.
2. What was the last thing you baked?
The last thing i baked was my Mums birthday cake last year before i got too ill, it was an Amaretto sponge and just one slice made me feel woozy. Michael baked a Tomato and Herb Bread yesterday which we'll be sharing with you tomorrow.
3. Something you've always wanted to bake?
I've always wanted to try choux pastry but it looks quite hard and it'd probably end up in the bin. Michael's always wanted to bake with passion fruit (he's crazy for the stuff) so that will be a bake you should see on here in the new year.
One day i decided me and two of my younger sisters were going to make some fairy cakes but i got really confused and told them to mix it with their hands (like biscuits). Boy, did that make mess! Michael made some Pistachio Rolls a little while ago that went straight in the bin 'cos they wouldn't do anything they were supposed to.
5. Be honest, do you lick the soon?
In my family we fought over the bowl after Mum was done cooking, when one of us did get hold of it then it would be gone in less than a minute. Michael's not overly keen on it so the spoon is my pleasure.
6. How often do you bake?
If you regularly read our blog, which you should, then you know that Michael bakes once a week. On special occasions we bake a bit more. We love having a new bake to try out every week.
7. What baking success are you most proud of?
I made a lemon cake for Michael's 18th Birthday (picture above) an decorated it with the Superman and Batman logos, everyone complimented me on it. For Michael it was our last bake, the Cinnamon Rolls, they're his crowning glory. I'm sure that man could win the Great British Bake Off.
8. Do you tidy up as you go along or leave one big mess until the end?
I can't bake anymore but when i did i left one big mess until the end and Michael does the same, just tidying a little as he goes along.
9. Do you use recipe books or get them online?
We use both but tbh, Pinterest is the bomb when it comes to recipes. Normally, i pick a bake at the beginning of the week from food blogs or pinterest, although we are overflowing with recipe books.
10. Do you stick to the recipe or do you experiment a little?We like to find a good recipe and then make variations of it, like the time we used a normal cake mix and split it, adding banana to one mix and jam to the other then topping them both with white chocolate frosting (picutre above). Now Michael does all of the baking he tends to stick to the recipe, but if it sounds wrong or doesn't go very well then he'll do what he thinks will work.
11. Who are your favourite food bloggers?
Michael doesn't read blogs but i show him the ones i really like so here are ours:
12. What is your favourite thing to bake?
I love baking cakes, there's nothing better than beating cake batter when you're feeling a little stressed. Michael loves baking bread, it also helps that he's so good at it.
We hope you enjoyed this tag, we loved doing it! We'll be doing plenty more in the future so you can have a good nosey into our world.