60g vegan butter
4tbsp brown sugar
1/2tsp vanilla extract
85g brown rice flour
50g chickpea flour
1/4tsp xantham gum
pinch of salt
Fruit Mincemeat Ingredients:
60g chopped dried apricots
100g dried cranberries
zest of 1 orange
juice of 1/2 orange
zest of 1 lemon
1tsp ground cinnamon
- For the pastry: In a bowl cream the butter, sugar and vanilla extract, then in a separate bowl mix together the flours, xantham gum and salt. Now mix the two mixtures together, add the water and mix with your hands into a dough. Knead for around one minute, roll in a ball, wrap in cling film and pop in the fridge for half an hour.
- For the filling: Put all the ingredients for the fruit mixture into a blender and pulse until you achieve a rough consistency.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/350f and grease a cupcake tin with 12 holes with some vegan butter.
- Dust a work surface with some extra rice flour and roll out the pastry to around 3mm thick. Use a round pastry cutter to cut out 12 circles (re roll and cut again if needed) then put the left over pastry to one side.
- Put the cut out pastry rounds into the tray, then fill each with one tablespoon of the mincemeat, making sure not to overfill so it won't bubble over whilst cooking.
- Roll the remaining pastry out to 3mm thickness again. Now you get to choose whatever cutter you want to make 12 pastry toppers for the mince pies. Once 12 are cut, place them over the top of the pies and gently press down.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or very lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and pop out onto a wire rack to cool down (but you better just test one straight from the oven, eh?). Once cooled, dust with icing sugar and then munch away.