1 butternut squash - you need 3/4 cup so we used the rest in this delicious Butternut Squash Pizza,
1.5 flax eggs - 1.5tbsp flaxseeds mixed with 4 tbsp water,
1/4 cup olive oil,
1/4 cups agave,
2 tbsp mashed banana,
2/3 cup brown sugar,
2tsp baking soda,
1/2tsp ground cinnamon,
1tsp mixed spice,
1/2 cup water,
1 cup & 1tbsp gluten-free oats,
1/2 cup & 1tbsp ground almonds,
1 1/4 cup gluten-free flour blend,
3tbsp mixed sunflower & pumpkin seeds.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 5. Cut the butternut squash in half length-ways and place the halves open side down on a tray. Then, pour hot water around the squash until it rises up to around 1/3 of it. Place the try in the oven and let cook for 40mins - 1 hour, topping up the water as it cooks. Once cooked, the squash should be soft to touch and mashable. Now, you need to scoop the squash out of the skin and mash to it is like a puree, take 3/4 cup of this and set aside for the recipe. The rest could be used for many recipes but the one above (in the ingredients) is our favourite.
- Now to cake. Line and grease a loaf tin ready for the batter.
- Make the flax 'egg' and set aside for 5 minutes to get the best results.
- Add the flax egg, butternut puree, mashed banana, agave and olive oil to a big mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- To the bowl, add the brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and mixed spice, then whisk. Once done, add the water and whisk again.
- Finally, stir in the oats, ground almonds and flour. If the mixture looks too wet, add another tbsp or a few of oats or flour. It should be thick and pourable.
- Pour the batter into the lined loaf tin and top with the seeds.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown and a knife stabbed into the centre comes out clean.
- Take out of the oven and leave in the tin to cool. Once cooled, take out of the tin and that's that.
- I loved mine warmed up with a bit of vegan butter. Delicious.