13/05/2015

MEAM: MEAW: 10 Loveliest Things Animals Have Done For Me.

For those who don't know, for M.E. awareness month (May) I am writing a post, despite my severe illness, every single day. I'm doing this to raise money and awareness for the neurological chronic illness M.E. and the charity Invest in M.E. in the hope that one day we may find a cure. So, I'd really love if you'd head over to my JustGiving page and sponsor me throughout this challenge. Thank you.
  1. The most recent thing was last month when I had gastroenteritis, which let me tell you is so not fun when you can't normally hold your head up let alone sit up unaided! Anyway, Izzy made it a lot easier by letting me hold her paw (which she hates being touched BTW) and even being okay when I squeezed it through the pain. It really meant a lot.
  2. I'm going to carry on with our Izzy; I know many people don't agree with it, but our dogs sleep on the bed, it's even part of the reason we chose a king size bed! Now, Izzy likes to think she's a human (we are trying to rectify this some) so she like to sleep as high up and as close to me as possible, meaning she often lays her head on my pillow and let's me spoon her. This might seem odd to you but it helps my aches so much to have a light warm pressure against my sore point and she doesn't even mind me sticking my bony bits into her back!
  3. Another thing Izzy does is letting me lean on her. I don't know if most people with M.E. get excruciating stomach pain (?) but it happens to me very regularly so Izzy likes to help me out. I have to lean forward and double over to help relieve some of the pain so Izzy will sit in front of me, allowing me to use her as a lean post until the pain has gone.
  4. Izzy also does this thing where she will gently lick and nibble so delicately to pull a plaster off my finger and lick my wound. It seriously is the cutest thing to see.
  5. Our family Bichon Scamp will lick me constantly on especially bad days, so much so that his tongue gets so dry that it actually begins to hurt. But, it means a lot that he knows and understands to his best ability, and will always try to make it better.
  6. Scamp will let me do anything, seriously anything. I love this so much because no one else is allowed! Even Mum gets a growl. It makes me feel very special and I will honestly do any crappy job he needs doing.
  7. Izzy doesn't like us getting passionate about anything. If we raise our voices and get very aggressive in how we speak then she will crawl over and nudge our hands and try to lick our faces until we stop. Although extremely sweet, this can get a tad annoying.
  8. When our sweet little bunny Barley was still with us he was the most charismatic bunny I've ever known! You can read more about him and his ways by clicking the link above. But, the thing I loved the most is how he'd climb up my chest and cuddle into my neck and shoulder or he'd snuggle his little head into the crook of my arm and it never failed to cheer me up.
  9. Whenever I would get very upset and cry Scamp would always be the first to climb up my chest so he could reach my face and lick all the tears away. Sounds gross, but really very comforting.
  10. Saving the best for last as this is one of my favourites. Izzy is very clever and always knows how to make sure I can join in on the fun. She loves to play, all day long, like the first thing she does in the morning is get a ball. The way she plays with Michael is very physical and boystrous but she'll change in an instant for me. First, all I have to say is 'get your ball' and she'll go off to find it and bring it to me! Then, rather than dropping the ball at my feet, she'll strecth her neck as far as possible to get it to me in my little corner of the bed and drop the ball into my hand. She also tells me when she wants to play by bringing her ball to me and dropping it on the edge of bed, staring between it and me until I pick it up. It truly is the sweetest thing.

1 comment:

  1. I've underestimated the power of pets till my M.E's deteriorated
    They don't judge, love you unconditionally and adapt to whatever state you're in
    yeap, truly the sweetest thing
    x

    ReplyDelete