10/05/2015

MEAM: Best of Audible.

For those who don't know, for M.E. awareness month (May) I am writing a post, despite my severe illness, every single day. I'm doing this to raise money and awareness for the neurological chronic illness M.E. and the charity Invest in M.E. in the hope that one day we may find a cure. So, I'd really love if you'd head over to my JustGiving page and sponsor me throughout this challenge. Thank you.

source
 I'm a book whore. There, it's out. I've loved reading from a very young age, so much so that my infant school ran out of books for my read. But, my wonderful teacher slipped a few of her own to Mum, Fantastic Mr Fox being one that started my love for Roald Dahl. By the time I was 11, I was sharing my Mum and Pamp's (grandfather) books and I bloody loved it! You can imagine my horror when I realised I no longer had the energy to read. Luckily, my bestest rescued me by convincing me to give audio books on Audible a go and I haven't looked back since. I had reservations; yes, sometimes I find it hard to listen to certain people's voices but luckily you can have a quick listen preview on each book's page, I thought I wouldn't be able to lose myself the way I do in a physical book but after a few books I finally did, start with a small book and break yourself in steadily. So, I thought, seeing as most of you probably have trouble reading, I thought I'd share some of my favourite listens on Audible.
  1. The Night Circus ~ This was the first audio book I listened to and boy, did I pick well! This book convinced me to keep going with audio books and is now one of my 'all-time favourite' reads. The Night Circus is such a magical book, the imagery is incredibly beautiful and it will whisk you off to another world (and we all need that, right?).
  2. The Girl with All the Gifts ~ This one was such a surprising book, you go into it thinking you know what's happening, but then Bam! and it hits you straight in the face. That's all I've got to say, give it a go.
  3. The Universe Versus Alex Woods ~ This one got me straight in the chest, this book is enough to move you to tears. Alex is such a quirky kid and his relationship with Mr Peterson is so complex that you'll just have to keep listening.
  4. The Bone Clocks ~ From the author of Cloud Atlas, I was convinced this book was going to leave my brain frazzled and confused but it didn't. It's really complex but I didn't get confused once, and that's quite the feat when you suffer from brain fog! One for if you want to think and explore.
  5. Northern Lights (also known as The Golden Compass) ~ Apparently this one's meant to be for children but I don't care. I loved all the different characters and how their stories progressed. Lyra will have you rooting for her but it's also such an easy listen that it's great for bed time. This is also part of a trilogy, read them all!
  6. The Name of the Wind ~ Wow, this was long but I loved it! Such great story telling that you'll be oohing and aahing all the way through. I wasn't keen on the narrator but I settled into it eventually. This is also part of a Trilogy.
  7. The Black Prism ~ I hated this one at first. It took me many tries to get into it but once I did, I just couldn't put it down! I'm not on the final book in this trilogy and its one I'd quite happily listen to over and over. It seems complicated at first but it's easy to follow and the premise is good.

3 comments:

  1. I need to try out some of these books! I've been reading the mortal instruments for what seems like forever but I've just started the last one and I can't wait for a change!
    Emma Xx

    www.emmaslookingglass.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love listening to audiobooks! It's my favourite thing when I need to lay in the dark. I think the audiobooks app is great too- it has hundreds of books on there for free! Definitely going to have to try some of your suggestions Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the list.... I love Audible and listen for a couple of hours each day. :D

    ReplyDelete