06/05/2015

MEAM: An Interview With My Mum.

For those who don't know, for M.E. awareness month (May) I am writing a post, despite my severe illness, every single day. I'm doing this to raise money and awareness for the neurological chronic illness M.E. and the charity Invest In M.E.in the hope that one day we may find a cure. So, I'd really love if you'd head over to my JustGiving page and sponsor me throughout this challenge. Thank you.

I wanted to share other people's views on M.E., not just from a Spoonies point of view but the peoples' that love us. If my Mum loves us kids as much as we love our dogs then having your child's life torn apart is going to majorly affect their lives too. I even invited some of you to put your questions to her so thank you for your response. Here's M.E. from my Mum's point of view.

  • Me - When did you know that something was seriously wrong with me?
Mum - When you started excessively exercising and wouldn't stop, and you were eating hardly anything. This was when you started to get ill, when you were pushing your body to the max. Then, this led to you getting a couple of viruses, wiping yourself out and never getting better.

  • Me - What did you feel when we were told that I had M.E. and what did you think this meant?
Mum - The Doctor was very vague; at first it was a virus, the CFS, then finally a diagnosis of M.E. We went a year without a definitive diagnosis and even when I was diagnosed with M.E. we were left to get on with it and had no idea what it was about.

  • Me - Since then, what have you learnt about M.E.?
Mum - My partner likes to say that M.E. is really called that because of the word 'me' and that it's like that because M.E. is individual to every person who has it. Also, how massively effects your life, how much it has changed how you have to live. It tells you how to eat, what you can and can't do, who you can speak to, it stops you from living, it takes over your life completely.

  • Me - Do you have any advice for other Mums who are in the same position?
Mum - Don't just accept whatever you're told, the Doctor is not always right. Over time you realise that there is a lot more to M.E. Don't allow your child to be left and made to just get on with it, especially when you have no idea how to help. Just keep fighting.

  • Me - What are you most looking forward to as and when I get better?
Mum - Cashing in the mothers day vouchers you made me (I made them for her 2 years ago but haven't been able to do any of it). Just watching a film with you or being able to sit you up so we can have an afternoon tea.

  • Me - Why should people donate to M.E. charities?
Mum - We need so much more research to understand M.E. and just for people to get help and support. And, it needs to be recognised as the shitty illness that it is and we need to help people outside of the M.E. bubble to understand more.

About the photo: In the summer of 2011 Mum and i took part in the Race for Life. At this point i was housebound but could still walk small distances. So, we decided that i would walk over the start line and the finish. Funny thing is, we were last to cross the start line by 5 minutes and they'd even started to take it down! Very funny. And, it did get Mum to run to catch up so i was just helping her exercise ;)

1 comment:

  1. It's so great to know your mum has been there fighting for you! I don't know what I would have done without my mum xxx

    ReplyDelete