29/05/2015

MEAM: Moving House.

 For those who don't know, for M.E. awareness month (May) I am writing a post, despite my severe illness, every single day. I'm doing this to raise money and awareness for the neurological chronic illness M.E. and the charity Invest In M.E.in the hope that one day we may find a cure. So, I'd really love if you'd head over to my JustGiving page and sponsor me throughout this challenge. Thank you.
Moving house when you have severe M.E. is not fun. At. All. But, fortunately we kept our heads, planned well and had lots (and lots) of help. So, we thought we'd share a few tips we learnt from moving house with severe M.E.
  • Make Lists - This is such a big help! Moving isn't just about the packing and taking stuff from one place to another, there are loads of household duties (sorting out gas, electric, internet, etc.) to sort out. As you remember things just jot them down and you can work through them slowly with the help of someone else.
  • Lean On Others - God knows how we would have done it without the help of my family! My grandparents, step Mum and Mum all worked really hard to get everything done so i didn't have to stress and Michael could look after me and get started on packing. 
  • Know That Things Take Time - We've been living here 4 months now and still don't have living room furniture and have still got boxes piled up! But, when you're so ill those things don't matter. It's not like i can go into the living room anyway! Just take the things you need out of the boxes and leave the other stuff until you can manage it.
  • Don't Get Stressed - Ha! Easy for me to say. It's easy to feel overwhelmed and like everything's a mess, but things are going to be messy and there's nothing you can do about it. When you're so ill, all you can do is boss people about, and it's bloody hard to not be able to help. So, talk to people, say if something's bothering you and you can come up with a solution.
  • Take It Slow - We packed up for over almost a month and the flat was painted by my family over around 2 weeks. And, this must have worked because i actually didn't find moving all that stressful! It's good if you know in advance when things will be happening so you have lots of time to sort shit out.
  • It's Okay To Take Things Easy - No matter how much you're actually involved with the heavy lifting, moving is tiring. So, yes, you can eat crap food, like ice cream, because it's easy to get down and it tastes damn good. And, if you don't have the time, it's okay to let personal hygeine slip just a little. After all, it's what dry shampoo, deroderant and wet wipes are for.

15 comments:

  1. Hello! First off, we wish you well, and hope that you are someday freed from your chronic illness, if not a good way to prevent it. Second, I agree with all those tips. We should not be mentally lost in all the clutter and the volume of the stuff we have around the house, even if they tend to lead to disorganization. We should keep a calm head, then bring in all the materials that we need to pick, and pack accordingly.

    Clay Delgado @ World Packaging Co.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope everything is okay now. Stresses do come usually with moving, what more if your health is in delicate condition. I admire you for faring well, despite the odd situation you were in. You even shared a self-help list for us. Thank you for that, and stay strong!

    Cathy Schwartz @ Best Rate Removals

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am moving houses and I have moved twice before and both those times I have been young and unable to help but now I am a teen and my family is moving. I don't know how to pack things and unpack things. I am also unaware of how to get through if everything is packed. Plz help
    moving company toronto

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you don't need a home to raise a family then don't get one. They are way way way over-rated !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfmDwgWvkC4

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, what a wonderful blog post! What you say is very true, the fact that you need to make lists and to try and not stress too much. We recently moved, and although the move was slightly stressful, we moved with 3 kids, using a house moving company really helped, as they did the hard work. Good luck to you.

    Robyn Harmon @ Hills Moving

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea what Myalgic encephalomyelitis was! I love that you are not dwelling in your illness but empathetical empowering others.The unconditional love you two soul mates share is inspiring as I have followed your story for awhile. The care you shower each other with in this time is healing and the food you make is magical. Thank you!

    Jefferson @ T.J. Lamb Real Estate

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about half an hour. I am a newbie and your post is valuable for me.
    house moving houston

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the info, keep the good work going.... I really enjoyed exploring your site.Good resource.
    list for home for free

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blog site with useful information regarding moving homes..

    شقق للبيع اسطنبول

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really i am impressed from this post....the person who created this post is a generous and knows how to keep the readers connected..thanks for sharing this with us found it informative and interesting. Looking forward for more updates..
    property market singapore

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the post you shared. Good to see it..!! Thanks mate..
    renting properties

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    property investment pattaya

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the fresh perspective you did on the issue. I will be back soon to check up on new posts! Thank you!
    naples

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is truly a great and helpful piece of information and nice collection.
    новые проекты в риге

    ReplyDelete