04/05/2015

MEAM: Pennies & Benefits.

For those who don't know, for M.E. awareness month (May) I am writing a post, despite my severe illness, every single day. I'm doing this to raise money and awareness for the neurological chronic illness M.E. and the charity Invest in M.E. in the hope that one day we may find a cure. So, I'd really love if you'd head over to my JustGiving page and sponsor me throughout this challenge. Thank you.

source
Benefits are crap. I dont know how these people with the tiniest of problems get so much out of the government. Yet we, the one's who can't leave their beds most days, have to survive on a measly amount. It's even worse if you're in a couple be cause what they earn comes into what you get, when we're in a world that promotes indipendance! Then, if your partner can't work and instead has to be your carer, then you're f*cked. We, together as 2, get less than one person's minimum wage. For 2 people. Luckily, we're good with money, but it definitely isn't easy. I don't really know where I'm going with this post. I suppose I just want people to understand that benefits are not something I would choose in a million years. Those people with no problem that are doing so well on benefits, they're the minority, and it sucks that people have such narrow minds. So remember next time you're ranting about it that Laura and Michael are living off one persons minimum wage when she can't leave her bed, can't sit up, doesn't have the energy for a shower and he has to do everything for her. That's the truth and we earn that money.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this too - benefits are pennies and just make the rubbish situation of being severely ill even more rubbish (if that's even possible!) It's appalling how little it is to live on - you're so right, it's not a choice anyone would ever make! You absolutely earn that money and I just wish it could be more (or even better if it wasn't necessary in the first place!)

    The blog is looking so beautiful by the way, I love the new design and the 'Keep Smiling' - awwwh! I'm so looking forward to reading your next posts, these have been absolutely fantastic. You're doing so brilliantly and I hope it's not causing too much horrible payback (and of course don't feel like you have to reply to these comments! I've been spamming tonight - enjoying MEAM too much evidently!!)

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is such an important thing that doesn't get spoken about enough. We have struggled financially hugely at times- it is the last thing anyone with health difficulties needs. I completely share your frustrations xxx

    ReplyDelete