20/05/2015

MEAM: Vegan & Gluten Free Luxurious White Choc Raspberry Porridge & Apricot Bliss Porridge.

For those who don't know, for M.E. awareness month (May) I am writing a post, despite my severe illness, every single day. I'm doing this to raise money and awareness for the neurological chronic illness M.E. and the charity Invest In M.E.in the hope that one day we may find a cure. So, I'd really love if you'd head over to my JustGiving page and sponsor me throughout this challenge. Thank you.

I think porridge is the perfect poorly person meal. I mean, you can add anything! I've even seen savoury porridge, but i think i'll leave that one up to the culinary masters. I might be a little bias when it comes to porridge. You see, when i was little i'd stay with my Nan and Pamp every Friday night, i'd sleep in a sleeping bag on my Nan's side of their bedroom floor. We'd get up at 5.30 and i'd help make cups of tea, then i'd climb into bed between them and we'd all drink our tea, and a certain smell of tea always reminds me of my grandparents. Saturday mornings were food shop day so we'd pop off to Tesco's at 6/7 and they'd spoil me with Flumps and packets of Jam Cream Biscuits that would disspaer in one go. But, the best bit, as i remember, was getting back and Nan making a big saucepan of porridge. I've never had porridge like it, it was just delicious, and then topped with honey. Ahh. And, a little secret, after that we would have scrambled egg on toast. 2 breakfasts? I bet you wish you'd been there.

Anyway, porridge. Or oatmeal? Is that the same? Porridge is awesome for us spoonies. Oats are so good for you, you can use any milk you like, or just water, add any topping you like and even nutritional extras. You can get all the goodness you need from porridge and it's so bloody easy to eat! You don't have to chew it (something that i'm having particular trouble with) and it goes down very easily and, i think, this is as good as any main meal when you're really struggling with food. Sometimes i think of my food needs as someone with severe M.E. as i would a toddler transitioning from pureed food to the whole stuff. We have trouble swallowing, trouble chewing, don't like certain things and struggle with feeding ourselves, you see? So, if you've never tried porridge (Michael hadn't until 4 years ago!) then you must, especially if you're a spoonie, and you can keep adjusting things to get it just right for you. I personally prefer my porridge a little runnier as my tummy just can't handle the stodge, and it has to be made with coconut milk, for some reason it tastes wierd with almond. But, today's porridge's are delicious. The white chocolate and raspberry one is very creamy and the raspberries add a nice tang to it which balances it out so well. Then, the apricot porridge just tastes awesome, both kinds of apricot bringing so much flavour. 

Luxurious Raspberry & White Chocolate Porridge
Ingredients:
1/2 cup oats
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 bag dairy free white chocolate buttons (i like Tesco's)
1 handful raspberries
  • Put the oats into a small saucepan and pour over the milk.
  • Cook on a low heat, stirring regularly until the oats have absorbed the milk and it's becoming nice and creamy but not too thick.
  • Add the white chocolate and stir through whilst in the pan.
  • Pour into a bowl and top with the raspberries.
  • Eat it all up.

Apricot Bliss Porridge
Ingredients:
1/2 cup oats
1 cup coconut milk
1 tsp coconut sugar
2 fresh apricots, sliced
2 dried apricots, chopped
  •  Put the oats into a small saucepan and pour over the milk.
  •  Cook on a low heat, stirring regularly.
  • Halfway through cooking, when the oats are starting to absorb the milk, stir through the coconut sugar and add the fresh apricots and 1 of the dried apricots.
  • Keep stirring until cooked and creamy.
  • Pour into a bowl and top with the other dried apricot.
  • Shove it in ya' gob.

No comments:

Post a Comment