03/05/2015

MEAM: What M.E. Gave.

For those who don't know, for M.E. awareness month (May) I am writing a post, despite my severe illness, every single day. I'm doing this to raise money and awareness for the neurological chronic illness M.E. and the charity Invest in M.E. in the hope that one day we may find a cure. So, I'd really love if you'd head over to my JustGiving page and sponsor me throughout this challenge. Thank you.

source
  1. More time with Michael. Our situation sucks, but there are a few bonuses; I get to spend all of my time with Michael. Yes, we can't do much other than watch the odd TV programme but I feel so safe and happy knowing that he's just there to hold my hand.
  2. A bullshit filter. Yes, I lost every friend I had except one, but now I know who's really there and who actually cares. I don't even know half my family anymore! But if me getting ill makes them run for the hills then I'm better off without them.
  3. An excuse to go vegan. I've been a vegetarian for 10 years now and always wanted to go vegan but my family were worried about me restricting too much with anorexia. However, when I started to develop a dairy intolerance I had to go vegan! I love vegan ice cream even more than I loved dairy ice cream, we've tried so many new foods and recipes, and it made me feel a little better (every little helps, ehh?). 
  4. More time with my animals. I might have had less time with Barley, of course he lived outdoors whilst I was bed bound, but it was lovely when Michael bought him upstairs and he'd leap around the bed and have cuddles. When we lived with Mum, Scamp would run upstairs in the evening and lay on our bed until bed time. Then, whenever Mum and her partner went out we would have the dogs and they'd cuddle up with us all day (and be good as good, which I loved boasting about since they were always up to trouble). And now, Izzy is permanently attached to me and cries like a baby when I'm in the toilet for 2 minutes! My bestest could even be there for her sweet little kitty when he got hit by a car because she had M.E. Always look on the bright side of life.
  5. This blog. Without M.E. I definitely wouldn't have spent as much time on the internet and in turn, wouldn't have read many blogs. In fact, up until about 6months-1year before I started this space I'd never even read a blog! Blasphemy! Without this illness I wouldn't have known about M.E. and wouldn't have had the experience and oppurtunity to help others going through it.
  6. Friends. All my spoonie sisters are the most amazing people I've ever met. They're all so understanding, are always there, such beautiful people and not one of them deserves the cards they've been dealt. But, I'm still thankful to M.E. for bringing us together and allowing me to find some of my biggest inspirations.
Read yesterdays post on What M.E. Took.

4 comments:

  1. I love the concept of this post, I've enjoyed trying new foods too! It's one of the best things about becoming ill! Always look on the bright side eh! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a brave post, and it's a testament of your strength that you can see the positives and look on the bright side. I'm with you on the spoonie friends - you guys are the best! <3 and the vegan ice-cream sounds yummy, I can't think of anything nicer than ice-cream so that must be good stuff. I'm so happy that you've got Michael (and your animals!) too, I'm so glad that you've got someone to hold your hand through it all <3 xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been loving this series & meaning to comment on it since you first started (brain fog has been stopping me).
    I LOVE this idea for a post, it's so easy to think of all the horrible parts of M.E. & all the things that have been taken from us but it's a whole lot harder to think of the good parts, I am totally planning to write a post like this!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so wonderful that you are able to find the positives in an incredibly challenging situation. I feel incredibly lucky for the friends I've made through the spoonie community too- I've never come across such kind hearted lovely people xxx

    ReplyDelete